Shampoo bars are our 'gateway bars.' Most people have come across solid shampoo before, or just assume they are soap (hint: they're not) so they’re not that unusual. Solid moisturisers however are a different thing altogether…
First - a brief science lesson. There are essentially two types of moisturiser out there in the world. Creams/lotions and balms.
Creams & lotions are emulsions; a combination of water and oil held together by an emulsifier. The water is usually the much larger proportion, for two reasons; it feels lighter and less greasy for consumers and it's cheaper to produce. They can be all levels of moisturising, depending on ingredients and ratios chosen.
A balm is water free, made with oils and waxes, natural or synthetic. They’re often simpler formulations, feel heavier & greasier on the skin and are thicker.
Water is crucial for skin hydration, so emulsions are the preferred option for most people. You can get away with using a balm if you use it on damp skin, but a cream will almost always be more hydrating. Both are usually liquids and contained in bottles or tins.
So, back to the solid versions. You may see solid moisturisers around, made with ingredients such as cocoa butter, beeswax and coconut oil. These are usually balms, a great option (but again, use them on damp skin).
Ours are slightly different:
- The Body Butter Blocks are a solid blend of rich oils and butters that help nourish skin and lock in moisture.
- The Cream Body Sticks, on the other hand, are solid emulsions that contain both oil and water to offer moisture with a lighter skin-feel.
So why choose an Ethique solid moisturiser?
- They’re concentrated and are equivalent to two bottles of lotion (350ml bottles).
- The magic comes from two ingredients; sunflower lecithin and sodium lactate. Both draw moisture from the air to your skin which lasts all day from just one application.
- Frequent flyer? No need to worry about the liquids rule, because you can travel with your bar without anyone raising an eyebrow.
- And, the biggie… our tubes are totally plastic free.
- Each body butter combines babassu oil, cocoa butter, coconut oil and our dynamic duo lecithin and sodium lactate. Of course, are 100% vegan, cruelty free and palm free.
We have 5 divine scents:
- In Body Butter Sticks, we have Sweet Orange & Vanilla, Coconut & Lime, and Jasmine & Ylang Ylang.
- And in Body Cream Sticks, we have Lavender & Vanilla and Coconut & Lemongrass.
Solid moisturisers not your thing? Check out our Hand and Body Lotion Concentrates.