Dehydroacetic acid is derived from Acetic acid (Vinegar). It's a preservative. Many people are unnecessarily frightened of preservatives. They are very necessary to prevent bacterial or fungal infections which can cause serious issues, particularly in those with broken skin. We use our preservative in concentrations less than 0.4% which is both very safe and very effective. Dehydroacetic acid is completely biodegradable and is known to be exceptionally mild but effective with a low irritation potential.